Monday, December 29, 2008

Best Gift of All

All month long we have been talking with Ethan about the true meaning of Christmas - how God loved the world so much that he decided to send His son, Jesus, to earth as a baby, so that everyone who receives Jesus into their hearts will have everlasting life. And that the reason we give gifts to each other is because Jesus was God's gift to us. We have also had numerous conversations over time about how we are all sinners and we need a Savior - that Jesus is that Savior if we ask Him to come into our hearts.
So, the day before Christmas Eve, I was running errands with Ethan & Annaliese and Ethan & I were discussing this on our drive. He asked me if I have Jesus in my heart. I told him yes, I did. He then said, "Pray it again." So, I indulged him and prayed the prayer of salvation for myself. Then he said, "Pray it for me." I told him that I can't ask Jesus into his heart for him, but that if he wanted to make that decision for himself, I would help him pray the prayer. Ethan told me that he did want to ask Jesus into his heart. So I lead him in the prayer with him repeating every line: "Dear Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God. And you came to give me everlasting life. Please forgive me of my sin. Please come into my heart. Help me to be like you. I love you, Jesus. Amen."
I know Ethan is young, but I am not about to discount the fact that the Holy Spirit resonates in the tiny spirits of children. The bible says that, "From the mouths of babes and infants, you have ordained praise." I know the angels rejoiced with me & Bobby over his decision!
Thank you, Jesus, for giving Ethan a heart after you. Help him to be more like you and have an ever-increasing desire to know you. Give him a heart for righteousness. Help him to be a leader, standing strong in his faith. Protect him and keep him healthy. Praise you, Lord!

2 comments:

Missy said...

That is so sweet. Children are so pure with their intentions, and I have no doubt that Ethan really believed what he prayed. Thanks for sharing.

Leah said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! OMG, I have tears in my eyes, that is so precious.

Praise God! I am rejoicing with you guys!!!